Between the names of your enemies and the names of your family members, choosing the right name for your child can be quite difficult. Add in the opinions of everyone around you and being somewhere on the spectrum of wanting to be super traditional or super unique, naming your baby can be nearly impossible (not to mention, that you only have nine short months to do so). To make your job a little it easier, here are the top five baby girl names and the top five baby boy names around the world.
Top 5 Baby Girl Names:
1. Emma – Chances are, you have met a baby girl named Emma and it is no surprise. It has been in the top ten American baby names for the past 10 years. The fact that Rachel and Ross stole the name from Monica on the popular 90s sitcom Friends does not help. Nonetheless, it is a beautiful name and the trend does not seem to be dying down any time soon.
2. Olivia – Thanks to the ever popular Olivia Pope on hit TV show Scandal and Sargent Olivia Benson on Law and Order: SVU, the name Olivia has skyrocketed over the past few years. This is another naming trend that does not seem to be going away anytime soon, so prepare to meet hoards of little Olivias in the near future.
3. Charlotte – The Royal Baby has everything to do with this naming trend. Duchess Kate Middleton gave birth to her and Prince William’s second baby, Princess Charlotte Diana Elizabeth in the summer of 2015 and the name has been skyrocketing on the charts ever since.
4. Sophia / Sofia – Sophia has been towards the top of the name chart for at least the past five years.
Though no pop culture references are obvious to why Sophia is such a popular name, it is presumably because it’s so beautiful sounding.
5. Mila – It is no surprise why Mila is such a popular name these days. Pop culture icon Mila Kunis, who has stared in productions such as That 70s Show and the raunchy comedy, Ted is a huge hit. More recently, Mila Kunis had her own daughter with former That 70s Show costar Ashton Kutcher, whom she named Wyatt. We will see if this name makes a hit in the near future.
Top 5 Baby Boy Names:
1. Jacob – As one of the most traditional names in written history (for those unaware, it is a biblical name), Jacob has been one of the most popular names for a long time now. Nowadays, trendsetters have been spelling it Jakob, but nonetheless this name is not going anywhere soon.
2. Jack – The name Jack has been popular since the late 90s when blockbuster hit Titanic made its way to the silver screen. Leonardo DiCaprio’s role won the heart of thousands of women across the globe. More recently, the variation Jax has risen in popularity, thanks to the ever popular TV show and character, Sons of Anarchy.
3. Noah – Like Jack, the popularity of the name Noah came about when silver screen hit The Notebook made its way into the hearts of thousands of people. Ryan Gossling’s character Noah made people swoon so much, this became one of the most popular names in modern history.
4. Jayden – Once a name that was used to set a child apart from the others, Jayden has risen in popularity and this can no longer be said. This is probably in part because of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith naming their son Jayden.
5. Aiden – Like Jayden, its rhyming component, Aiden was once used to set baby boys apart. However, this is not the case anymore. Due to its popularity, many variations in spelling have come about like Aidan and Ayden and Aydan, and there are even attempts in making the name into a unisex name.
These are just some of the top names worldwide. Whatever you name your child, make sure it’s something you like. After all, you are stuck with it for the rest of your life and your child has to endure the consequences of it, unless you (or them) want to go through the lengthy and costly procedure of a name change. Good luck on your bundle of joy and good luck choosing a name.