Mushrooms are responsible for approximately six the seven thousand deaths annually in the United States alone. Some of these mushrooms will make you hallucinate, while others while give you stomach flu like symptoms. Some hurt you fast, others take their time. So without further ado, let me introduce you to the some of the world’s most poisonous mushrooms.
1. Death Cap (Amanita phalloides)The death cap looks like a very classic mushroom: it’s white and stand about six inches tall with a thick stalk and an off-white cap at the top. This mushroom can be found throughout Europe. The death cap mushroom is especially dangerous because it closely resembles the edible straw and caesar mushrooms- not a mistake you want to make. What makes this mushroom poisonous is its toxic amatoxins, which can withstand cooking temperatures. What can this little guy do? Within six to twelve hours after eating it, the victim will experience violent abdominal pain, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea, adding dehydration to the problem. This mushroom affects the kidneys, liver, and central nervous system.
2. Conocybe filaris This mushroom stands from one to five inches tall and has a slender stalk holding a reddish orange cap. This mushroom is found especially in the Pacific Northwest; The Pacific Northwest includes the states of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. These mushrooms have the same heat-safe toxins as the death cap. This mushroom’s poison might not effect you for up to twenty four hours afterwards, which may lead to misdiagnosis of the problem, often blaming less dangerous conditions such as food poisoning.
3. Web caps (Cortinarius species)The Webcaps, an entire species of mushroom, are a very short brown mushroom. These mushrooms have a poison call orellanin. Initial sysmptoms are similar to the common flu. This particular poison is very delayed in its destruction- it can take two days or up to twenty one days to begin to affect the victim enough to show symptoms. Eating webcap mushrooms causes kidney failure and will be fatal if left without medical attention. Often, an entire kidney transplant is necessary.
4. Autumn Skullcap (Galerina marginata)The name alone should warn you to stay away, but if you’re foolish enough to try this mushroom anyway, you won’t be happy. If you eat it, this short, brownish red mushroom
that grows on rotting wood will affect you with the same toxin as the death cap mushroom. Victims’ symptoms will appear before the day is over, and can include liver damage, vomiting, diarrhea, and surprisingly enough, hypothermia. Eating this mushroom is one of the few ways you can die of hypothermia without being exposed to chilly temperatures.
Destroying Angels (Amanita Species)These deadly mushrooms are an ethereal white, scary even without the name. Destroying Angel mushrooms look very similar to the edible button and meadow mushroom. One of the mushrooms in this species, Amanita bisporigera, is considered to be the most toxic North American mushroom. Symptoms of eating any mushroom in the Amanita species will appear anywhere from five to twenty four hours. Victims may experience diarrhea, delirium, liver or kidney failure, convulsions, and vomiting. These mushrooms are often fatal.